The financial aid process can seem complex, but the following information will keep you on track. Please contact the Oakton Community College Office of Student Financial Assistance via email,, or phone  847.635.1708 (Des Plaines) or 847.635.1250 (Skokie), and the staff can help walk you through the process.

A new application for financial aid must be filed  for each academic year as soon as possible before the start of the semester. For students planning to attend in Fall 2019, applications opened Oct. 1, 2018.

Completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) applications received by March 1 will receive priority consideration for limited financial aid funds.


To be eligible to apply for state and federally funded aid programs, you must meet the following requirements:

  • U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. permanent residency who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C or refugee. If you are not in one of these categories, you may view more guidelines posted in the Guide to Federal Student Aid,
  • Regular high school diploma or successful GED.
  • Social Security number (name on FAFSA application must match the Social Security card).
  • No convictions for possession/sale of illegal drugs while enrolled in college.
  • Selective Service registration for males 18 to 25 years of age.

By completing the FAFSA, you are applying for the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), and some institutional and local scholarships.

Include Oakton Community College’s Federal School Code Number 009896.

Submit your FAFSA information at

The National Student Loan Data System: This site provides a history of federal student financial aid received.

Student Aid Report (SAR)

The SAR is the notice of potential eligibility from the federal government for the Federal Pell Grant and the basis for potential eligibility for other need-based student aid programs.


The federal government selects a percentage of all aid applicants for a process called verification. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you must submit all documents requested by the Office of Student Financial Assistance. 

Applying for Aid

It’s easy to apply for financial assistance at Oakton. Here’s what to do. 

  1. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  2. Receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education. The SAR estimates the amount you and/or your family are able to contribute toward college expenses; your aid award is based on the difference between the College’s cost of attendance and this amount.
  3. Complete financial aid verification using Oakton’s Verify FAFSA tool. 
  4. Submit the Oakton Community College Scholarship Application if you’re applying for an Oakton-funded scholarship.
  5. Check application procedures for any additional scholarship programs. For instance, some Illinois financial aid programs require separate applications. Check the website for more information.